Thursday 8 September 2016

Marriage with Indian Boy

Marriage, one of the most important change which happens in everyone's  life. We all dream about beautiful marriage ceremony, as it looks in movies and in fairytales.
 Even when we are child, we still like marriages, without understanding its actual meaning, we just like it because of beautiful white gown, testy cakes, candies and of course happiness around it.


Later on, when we grow up, we realize that wedding is not just a ceremony, it's a change for whole life, and when fairytale ends, the real life starts.
 Everyone wants successful marriage, loving and caring husband or wife, understanding, prosperity, peace and harmony. And when in front of priest we change the rings, we pray for one thing, to have a happy marriage life. However how many married couples stay happy after marriage? it's a big question.

Marriage is itself challenge for couple, and it does not depend on how long you have been in relationship, still after marriage many things change and you discover new characters of your spouse. This time needs mutual understanding from both side and of course patience.

 I am one of those girls, who had a courage to make decision continue my life journey with foreigner in another country.
 Let me say it was a long and very difficult way through which I have gone before my marriage. Eight years we were struggling,  we were fighting for our love, we came across many barriers, long distance, career failure, depression. We met when we were too young, but we got married when we were enough mature.

 Now, when I look back I understand it was a trial, to be ready for new life.
 I don't know much about other nations, but marriage with Indian is a very responsible step, specially when you are planning to live in India.
 India is a country of traditions, those traditions come from centuries, some of them are strange and not comprehensible for us, but always followed with billion of people here. Most of traditions related to religion, and India has more than four religions.

 Indian boy can be loving and caring husband, good father, but there are lot of cultural differences which can destroy relationship, if couple is not patient, and love is not enough strong.
 I believe before marry to foreigner, one has to visit that country, explore and see that culture, religion, and of course to know rules  about marriage acts. I know, it seems funny, and even when I remember my first years of relationship, I would have feel the same if someone told me this all. But by the time I understood those are necessary things which I have to know.

 If your relation is serious and you are going to live in country of your husband, first thing is to learn the language. It doesnt matter in which language you speak with your spouse, for your convenience you need to know local language as well, because he is not gonna be the only person with whom you will speak in your whole life here. In India you need to know two languages: English and Hindi (in some states it's different ) English you will need especially if you are planning to work in the future, and Hindi you will need for communication, because wherever you go most of the time people will speak Hindi.Language knowledge gives you kind of confidence. you can travel alone, find friends, participate in cultural events and slowly and gradually integrate yourself with this society.

 Remember one thing, for Indians
wherever you come from, you will always be "white crow", they will always call your culture "western", and it doesnt matter even if you come from Japan, many of people think that out of India all cultures are "western". But here the problem is not about western or eastern, the thing is that what they mean with "western culture". Unfortunately so many people in India think that in "western culture", family, love, respect do not exist, girls are too open mind, they don't know how to cook, how to wash. (Its like in Armenia people think Indians are super rich). And because of this, many parents feel unsecured for their sons. I can understand this point because same problem we can see from our parents side.

 The first years of the marriage is a period when family will follow you.It's the hardest time for girl, because from one side you need to adjust yourself to new environment, and from other side there is a family which expects many things from you.

 Indians have huge families, here you have to remember each and every member: chacha, chachi, bua, dada, didi, mama, mosi and so on (those are hindi version of uncle, aunt,sister and etc.).

You have to remember all the accessories which married woman has to wear, and here it comes bindi, sindur, churi...If you are lucky and you got a family where no one force you to wear all these, so feel blessed and enjoy your life. Otherwise you need to follow the tradition, because people will expect to see all this on you everyday.

 Another important thing, be ready to learn how to cook Indian food (this can be after marriage). Even if your husband  promises, to take you  restaurant everyday, after marriage it's practically impossible. So soon or later you need to start making Indian food. When I remember myself before marriage, I was so scared, if I will be able to make even simple roti, but now I make not only roti, but almost everything from Indian cuisine. In my family, I try not only Indian, but also different cuisines, and everyone is happy with this.

 What I understood from Indians, they are basically still, but you need to respect their traditions, (and don't try to find any logic).

 For me there are two kind of festivals : Christian and Hindu, both of them I celebrate with same enthusiasm and happiness, according to every tradition.



My father use to say: "Respect others tradition, but keep yours as well".
And lets not forget that, people are different. Indians are a huge nation, with lots of traditions, which change even from state to state.

 And finally, everything can go smooth if there is love, mutual respect and  understanding.



Wish you all happy married life.

13 comments:

  1. Liana Jan...I would not say it's not true...but it's applicable to individuals...for instance my wife enjoy all festival parts...but don't follow traditional ceremony..and I or my family never force her...also any foreigner who adjust to foreign country has to adjust with lot of local factors...it's people..it's culture...it's tradition...and head to some people that black crow or white crow shit...an Indian in Armenia is as targetted as Armenian in India. ...yes i completely agree on one part ...that you should visit country...experience day today life..and mostly know your in laws...how supportive that are...and with all respect...I have to say...and that is true...that not every foreigner girl can respect Indian culture of that don't respect thier own culture...the Armenian girls in this aspect are very adjusting...you cannot expect from Brit or American . But otherwise i love this Article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rajiv jan believe me I have not written this article for negative aspect.This is for those who are planning to marry Indian without understanding where they are coming.And about "white crow" I mean to say whatever we will not do we will stay different ( At least people think like this) and same thing in Armenia for Indians.Otherwise dont take it negative, I did not want to hurt someone

      Delete
  2. Liana Jan...I would not say it's not true...but it's applicable to individuals...for instance my wife enjoy all festival parts...but don't follow traditional ceremony..and I or my family never force her...also any foreigner who adjust to foreign country has to adjust with lot of local factors...it's people..it's culture...it's tradition...and head to some people that black crow or white crow shit...an Indian in Armenia is as targetted as Armenian in India. ...yes i completely agree on one part ...that you should visit country...experience day today life..and mostly know your in laws...how supportive that are...and with all respect...I have to say...and that is true...that not every foreigner girl can respect Indian culture of that don't respect thier own culture...the Armenian girls in this aspect are very adjusting...you cannot expect from Brit or American . But otherwise i love this Article.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lian Jan, first and foremost I would like to say that everything you have mentioned in your article is somewhat true!
    "You have to remember all the accessories which married woman has to wear, and here it comes bindi, sindur, churi...If you are lucky and you got a family where no one force you to wear all these, so feel blessed and enjoy your life". It means I m really lucky enough not to be forced by anyone to do or wear anything traditional, though i like indian traditional accessories but at the same time I can use them only on some occasions!Food was the first thing I liked here, if I don't consider the amount of chillies in them.
    It's not really easy adjusting in India(those who are married here, will agree with me) , those Armenian girls, who will say that life is heaven in India, and they haven't gone through a hard time here (I mean mostly physiological ) , sorry but I can't believe in their words! I can bring my example: I livee only with my husband, have never lived with his family(though his family is also understanding, thankz God, and would never force me anthing) He is very supportive, very caring and i can refer to him all the good qualities a man should have, BUT even in this case it was not that easy especially in the beginning when i just stepped into this new and completely different world as!Visiting India for 20 days which i did a year before our marriage, is a different thing, but coming and settling here is completely different! In the beginning everything makes you nervous, streets,people, behaviour,manners that lack and so on! This is generally saying!it doesnt matter what kind of home and conditions you live in, once you go out, your heart fills with disappointment! But with the time you adjust,only if your partner is an understanding,respectful and suportive man!
    Cutting it short,Live, Love and Enjoy every minute of your life wherever you are! Appreciate what you have and time will place everything in order! Try to count your blessings instead of worries! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Hasmik jan. You are right, Its all about adjusting yourself, and of course it takes time.About accesspries I will say even in my family I have not been forced and now I wear it in special occations only ( And again not everything),but thise are basic things which every girl will see after marriage. After sometime it becomes normal and we dont even take attention of such things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ya! I forgot to add about traditions and festivals! I like festivals here, even sometime just for being a part of the group, I also join for puja and all , just not to be isolated from friends and relatives! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well,i agree with most of the things written by the auther) lot of them are true))though my husband and i are very much free from following most of the traditions. My habbu is a very broad minded person in this matter,though he is conservative about clothing and behaviour of the woman. I agree with him on this point and do not expose myself to people around.
    It was interesting to learn about Armenia-India relations,never heard of it before.
    Im very happy for the auther that she and her husband firstly went through struggling and then got married. In our case we got married 3 years ago..and since that time we've been struggling. Within these 3 years we stayed with each other for 1 year and 8 months...rest of the time we stayed apart. Even now we are away from each other.
    From my side i want to tell only one thing to those who are planning to get married in India. Make sure you love the other person enough to be able to resolve the difference of mentalities issue. My husband and i are very close to each other,most of the time we are on the same wave length. But sometimes it feels that we are from different planets. When it comes to time management for example. You should learn to let the things go at first place. The minute you learn to do that,your life with an indian husband will become a fairy tale;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Elena First of all thank You for your comment.Than I want to say the things which I have written here comes not all from my experience.Those are basic things which happens to many of girls who are getting married with Indian boy. In my case I have never been forced to do something. I got married when I have known Indian culture very well already, and I was already prepared for changes, but still there was no much stress for me.
      And I am agree with your last point, yes you have to learn to let the things go. Thank you

      Delete
    2. and yeah the love is most important

      Delete
  7. Very well written... I had a long distance relationship for almost four years and I do know the challenges...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You for your comment Sir, Its my pleasure to write Interesting stories for my readers (and most of them come from my personal experience).

      Delete
  8. You nailed it Liancho, I hear you! I had these thought when I got married as well (although I'm an Indian)

    xoxo - Chaicy
    StyleAPastiche.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear Chaicy for your comment, I am happy that you liked my post.

      Delete