Thursday 30 March 2017

The most simple recipe for Khachapuri

Hello my readers, today I am back to my kitchen with one of the best recipes ever,  nam nam nam ,,,it's the best, it's the most delicious and most famous and favorite snack of all Armenian students, and why not, Indian students in Armenia like it more than anything else (oh no...may be "lahmajo" is in first place, I don't know, any ways) and yeah here it is khachapuri.


Thanks to Georgians for such a masterpiece. Let me say, there are many varietoes of Khachapuri and even one of them (Adjarian  Khachapuri) is  a national dish of Georgia. (Guys, this is about Georgia country, which is located in Caucasian Region, not a state in US.)
Today I will not make an Adjarian Khachapuri, since for this we need other kind of dough, but here I will make Khachapuri with puff pastry.
Ingredients:

  1. 3.5 cup flour
  2. 400 gram butter 
  3. 3/4  cup of water 
  4. 4 eggs 
  5. 5-6 drops of vinegar 
  6. punch of citric acid 
  7. 1/3 tea spoon of salt (if you have a salted butter do not add a salt )
  8. 300 grams of cheese  (basically in Khachapuri they use Georgian Sulguni cheese, but since I could not find it in India, I am using normal Processed cheese).
Process:

We take a round tray (you can do it also in clean table) and put there a 3 cup of flour and then add  two eggs, knead it and then pour water, vinegar, citric acid and salt (if the butter is unsalted ). Knead all ingredients together and make a dough.




In bowl, mix  350 gram  butter with half cup of flour. 


Then open the dough with 1 cm thickness and 25 cm widthness. 


Put the butter in the middle and start folding according to my photos. First bring two fringes in to the middle and combine them, then other two. 





Cover it with plastic and put in freezing zone of refrigerator for 40 minutes. 
Then bring it out and open with rolling pin and again fold accordingly. 
Do the process 3 times. 
Till the time we will make a filling, for which we take a 300 gram of grated cheese, two eggs, salt by taste and 50 grams of butter (if you use a mozzarella with processed cheese, do not use a butter, but since I  use only processed cheese, I need a butter for normal melting).  


After 3rd time, divide the dough into three parts, take one and put two others in to freezing zone. Open that 1/3 part of the dough, divide it to six parts and put filling on the top of the dough. 


Fold it from one fringe, give some shape and shift to  hot pan. Back for 20 - 30 minutes in 220 C. 




It comes very crispy and tasty. 
I hope you will try this recipe and soon I will hear about your experience. 

3 comments:

  1. I love Georgian food. Past many months I got to know many things about Georgia and love their country, people, cultures, facts, places and food! Hope there would be a restaurant here in Delhi offering traditional Georgian cuisine!

    ReplyDelete