Tuesday 24 January 2017

Honey Cake or Medovik


Hello my dear reader, so many things to write about, but today I have decided to write one cake recipe, which actually has been made by my sister. For same cake I have my own way of making, which I will share another day.
I want to mention that this recipe is according to Russian honey cake, however there are many different types of honey cakes, which are having different increadings and procedures of making.
Honey cake or Medovik is one of the most famous cake in Russia. Medovik is a multi-layered cake with a creamy filling.
So for this recipe we need:

  1. 2 tablespoon honey
  2. 1 cup of sugar
  3.  3 eggs
  4. 1,5 teaspoon of baking soda
  5. 100 gram unsalted butter 
  6. 3 cup of flour 
In a large saucepan over low heat, melt the honey, add sugar and stir.


In another bowl mix eggs with baking soda,


 mix well and then add to the  saucepan with honey and sugar mixture. Stir constantly until well blended and foamy. Then add the butter and 2 cups of flour, and mix it well. Remove from over the heat, and then add around one more cup of flour and stir, till it becomes non sticky dough.


Divide dough in to 5 equal pieces ( balls) and place on parchment paper and cover with plastic wrap to keep warm.
Open every ball with rolling pin one section into around 1/4 inch thick.


Place on the back side of baking pan and cook for 3 to 5 minutes (under 270 C)  till it gets golden but not brown. Remove it and do the same with 4 other balls.


When all the layers are ready we need to prepare a cream.



For this cake we basically use caramel cream. The recipe I will share in my next posts.


And here is my nephew, number one chef, who has done his own decoration for this cake and got this simple way.




Hope You have liked this recipe and will try it soon.

1 comment: