Saturday 20 May 2017

Armenian First Tooth Tradition or "Atam Hatik"

Hello my reader, again I am back to my blog to tell you about one of the beautiful tradition of Armenian culture.

So today I will share with you Armenian First Tooth tradition, the way we  celebrate it, the meaning behind it and of course some beautiful photos of my cute nephew's First Tooth Celebration.
In  Armenia, when baby's first tooth appears, family starts preparation for celebrating First Tooth Appearance. This is called "Atam Hatik", 'atam' means tooth, and 'hatik' means granule or seed.
This day we celebrate with fool enthusiasm, since it's one of the happiest tradition in every Armenian family. Preparation starts few days before. Parents start to buy balloons and all other required staff decorated according to celebration.




I don't know how it has been done in our time, but now there is a number of variety of stuff, which market offers to the lucky parents to make that day  fairytale for their little ones.
Everything has a shape of tooth or somehow related to it.
According to tradition there should be a popcorns, cake, multicolor candies and sweet sticks on the table, as a symbol of prosperity.





The baby is also presented with few items and whichever one he or she picks up, predicts his or her future occupation. If the child picks up book, he will be a teacher or writer, money means he will be a banker, financier or businessman, a knife symbolize occupation of doctor and a scissors foretells a life as a seamstress or tailor.
Before there was presented only three things, comb, mirror and knife. Comb has symbolised healthy and straight teeths, mirror has symbolised  abundance and fertility, and knife for strength.
As I know my nephew has picked up few things together, so I am not sure what profession he will choose in future, but whatever it would be, let it be good for himself.


Now tradition has been changed a lot, and people make it the way they like, but one thing has remained the same: it is beautiful family tradition which will length for centuries.
And in the end, there is our 'sweet pie' with his brother.


17 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What traditions to call upon. I love the decorations and the food looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's interesting to learn about others cultures and traditions! At first I thought it was a celebration for losing his first tooth lol. Very informative. Thank you for sharing ☺️

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow interesting tradition! The decorations and food look wonderful and cute. :) Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cool!!! I love to travel and learn about new cultures and places!!! I'd love to read more Armenian traditions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Being an Armenian and living far from my motherland makes me nostalgic about our tradition, cuisine and culture. So thats why I use to share many things here in my blog.

      Delete
  6. I have never heard about this and it's so cool to celebrate all their little milestones!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great tradition, totally new to me. Who doesn't love to celebrate?

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow. That sounds interesting

    ReplyDelete