Monday 24 April 2017

Armenian Dolma Recipe


Hi guys, it has been long time that I have  promised my instgram followers to share with them recipe of Armenian traditional dish Dolma, but actually could not do it due to my busyness. So the day has come.

Armenian and middle Eastern cuisine, Dolma refers to a family of stuffed vegetables, wrapped with in grape or cabbage leaves, but sometime people use also brinjal, squash, peppers and tomatoes.

Ingredients:



  1. one big head of cabbage
  2. 2 tablespoon of ghee 
  3. 1.5 lb of mutton (Basically for dolma we use beef but here I will use mutton)
  4. 1/4 cup of rice 
  5. 1 large onion 
  6. 2 tablespoons of each (basil, coriander, parsley chopped)
  7. Few bay leaves
  8. one egg
  9. 2 spoon of flour 
  10. 3 tomatoes 
  11. ground black pepper 
  12. Salt 
Process:
Trim away the thick stalks from the cabbage leaves and then put them into the simmering salted water for 5 minutes then gently remove from the water and keep aside to cool.
In a large bowl combine rice, mutton, flour, onion, egg black pepper, red chilli pepper. salt (by taste, approximately one teaspoon) and greens (basil, coriander parsley). Mix it well.



Then take one leaf, put 2 tablespoon of mutton mixture, fold the sides of the leaf over the filling to cover, then tightly roll the leaf.


Take the pan and put few cabbage leaves and tomato slices on the down side, and then gently transfer stuffed cabbage rolls.


On the top put few tomato slices, bay leaves and ghee.


Then add a water into the pan, little salt ( it does not need to be covered with water, just little less). Cover with lid and put on slow flame for one hour.
During the time you can taste the juice part and see if the salt is enough, otherwise you can add it more. When the meat and cabbage are cooked your Dolma would be ready.





Bon appetit...

14 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this dish before but it sounds amazing. I think I'll have to get the bits to make it!

    Becca
    www.QueenBeeBecca.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rebecca it is actually dish from caucasian cuisine, exactly Armenian. If you travel those regions you will be offered Dolma in any restaurant.

      Delete
  2. I've never seen one like this before! I wish I can try it in a restaurant some day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yeah you need to try it, only once if you try you will be in love with it.

      Delete
  3. That looks like it tastes really yummy. I never heard of this dish before, this is awesome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can have it in any caucasian restaurant. I am sure you will like.

      Delete
  4. I love dolmas! My mom make them a lot when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will have to try this sometime. Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah dear try it once and I am sure you will be in love with it.

      Delete
  6. I was not aware of this dish before I read your post..Not only does it look mouth watering, I think it's a brilliant alternative for Momo's..and in a very creative style :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes it very tasty and nice combination of meat and vegetable

      Delete
  7. Dolma is my favourite dish both with grape leaves and cabbage . Yummy! Lian thanks for sharing your recipe with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Has jan for your comment, hope you will try and let me know about taste.

      Delete